Seven Seasons of Celebration
December 2017 Chamber Column by President and CEO Debra Welch
Tis the season of gift giving -- let me encourage you to consider the best gifts you have ever given anyone, and celebrate how you have blessed the recipients. Reflecting upon the several years, I have been blessed with the gift of this column, and this year I want to celebrate seven seasons of gift giving instead of just one.
The ever-changing chamber leadership has accomplished much to celebrate in our community. With a steady focus on the mission of the chamber, these volunteers have guided activities to create economic opportunities and an enhanced quality of life for our citizens through leadership, relevancy and innovation. To that end, the following list shows seven of the significant gifts the chamber has provided our community over the past seven years:
- Lawton Economic Development Corporation formed to recruit jobs
- Increased promotional opportunities and referrals for local businesses
- New chamber location established to provide professional center of operations
- Convention and Visitors Bureau created to encourage, promote and foster conventions and tourism
- Passing legislation and the Hotel-Motel Tax, supporting passage of Capital Improvement programs, Student Investment programs and advocating for Fort Sill
- Community image campaign initiated to instill pride in our community – Lawton Proud
- Young Professionals Group launched to develop new community leaders
…and a Happy New Year!