Healthy Bites--Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers
Posted by: Chamber Intern on Monday, February 3, 2020 at 12:00:00 am
- 4 red or yellow medium bell peppers (about 1/2 lb each)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 roasted garlic pasta sauce (from 25.5-oz jar)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
- 3/4 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 3 quarts water to boiling. Add bell peppers to boiling water, making sure water covers peppers. Cook 2 minutes; drain.
- In medium bowl, mix chicken, 1 cup of the pasta sauce and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place peppers cut side up in baking dish; stuff with chicken mixture. Top peppers with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- In small bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Sprinkle on top of peppers. Cover tightly with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes; uncover and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until peppers are tender and heated through. Top with chopped basil.
- Feel free to use your favorite color bell peppers. Red and yellow tend to be slightly sweeter than green, and work best in this recipe.
- Make an impression at dinner by leaving the pepper stem intact, and simply cut the peppers and stem in half lengthwise.
For more recipes like these, please visit www.pillsbury.com/