The Discovery Trail, your passport to adventure! Visit the top eight attractions in the Lawton Fort Sill area, have your Discovery Trail card stamped and receive a souvenir at each site. Obtain your Discovery Trail card at The Lawton Fort Sill Chamber of Commerce, a chamber member hotel or any attraction site listed (call to confirm hours). Click here to download the directions to stops on the trail. 

Click here for your Discovery Trail brochure


View Larger Map



Museum of the Great Plains
601 NW Ferris Ave, Lawton, OK 73501   See Map
Mon - Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.   580.581.3460
The Museum features special collections and exhibits which spotlight the cultural and natural history of the Great Plains. The Red River Trading Post is a replica of the trading posts which existed in the region in the 1830s and 1840s that features a fortified log stockade and two-story trader's cabin. The Red River Trading Post hosts a Spring Encampment in May and Fall Encampment in November.


Comanche National Museum & Cultural Center
701 NW Ferris Ave, Lawton, OK 73505
  See Map
Mon - Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.   580.353.0404
The museum hosts national traveling American Indian exhibits from metropolitan museums across the United States. Visitors are offered a glimpse of traditional cultural objects and detailed history about the Comanche people.


Leslie Powell Gallery
620 SW D Ave, Lawton, OK 73501
  See Map
Mon - Fri Noon to 4 p.m.
The Leslie Powell Foundation was founded in 1986 through a trust left by Mr. Powell, a native of Lawton, Okla. The foudation funds scholarships, grants, a working art gallery promoting lectures, concerts and art shows year round. 


Historic Mattie Beal Home
1006 SW 5th St (5th & Summit Ave) Lawton, OK 73501
  See Map
Thur - Sun 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
The Historic Mattie Beal Home, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a 14 room Greek Revival style mansion constructed in 1909. In the land lottery of 1901, in which the federal government opened southwest Oklahoma for settlement, the second name drawn was Mattie Beal. This determined young woman from Wichita KS chose her 160-acre allotment south of the Lawton town site. Instant fame was hers and she received hundreds of marriage proposals but it was the local lumberyard owner Charles Payne who stole her heart; they married in 1902. (Also hosts group tours, wedding, luncheons & receptions.)


Holy City of the Wichitas
Located in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
  See Map
Mon - Sat 8a.m. - 5 p.m.;Sun 2 p.m. - 5 p.m. (Including holidays)
Located in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, it is the home of the annual Easter Pageant, the longest running outdoor passion play in the United States, depicting the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Thay are open 365 days per year with a gift shop on the grounds. 


Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
Located in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
  See Map
Open 7 days a week; 9a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
The 59,000 acres of natural grasslands provide habitat for bison, elk, deer and long-horn plus more than 50 mammals, 240 birds, 64 reptiles and amphibians, 36 fish species and 806 plant species who thrive in this refuge. Enjoy the scenic drive to the Mt. Scott summit which rises 2,500 feet above the plains and experience the most breath-taking scenery in Oklahoma.


Fort Sill National Historic Landmark
  Visit Website
435 Quanah Rd, Fort Sill, OK 73505
  See Map
Tue - Sat 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Visitors can walk the grounds of this historic frontier army post and feel the atmosphere from the past while enjoying programs presented by the museum throughout the year. Exhibit facilities are open to the public including the Interpretive Center, a cavalry barracks furnished to 1875, the 1872 guardhouse, the Warrior's Journey native American gallery and several others. 


U.S. Army Field Artillery & Air Defense Museum
  Visit Website
238 Randolph Road, Fort Sill, OK 73503
  See Map
Tue - Sat 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum tells the story of Artillery from 1775 to the present with over 70 guns and artillery pieces and numerous other artifacts from head gear and ammo to small arms and uniforms. The Museum was opened June 2, 2009. Previously, the Artillery Collection was part of the Fort Sill National Historic Landmark and Museum collection. Our collection includes a representation of uniforms from each era. We have added many new pieces and exhibits to peak the interest of any history or artillery buff. The Air Defense Artillery Museum's mission is to preserve the history and heritage of the U.S. Army and the Air Defense Artillery branch and its origins with the Coast Artillery Corps from 1907 to the present. The museum does this through research, interpretation and public display of historically significant artifacts and properties and maintains them as an accessible resource for the professional education of ADA branch students, Soldiers and Leaders, scholars and the general public.